Monday 4 March 2019

School records, archive resources & other news - Genealogy Notes 15 -28 Feb 2019

I'm cheating a little bit with this fortnight by including the first weekend in March. Hopefully I will get back to a normal blogging routine during the month.

Blogs

No blogs this fortnight but I did note Alona's Women's History Month challenge for March. Surely I will be able to get at least one post done and be part of this worthy challenge. Previously I have written about my four great grandmothers so perhaps it's time to look at my GG grandmothers or at least those who came out to Australia. Why not join me and take up Alona's challenge?

Conferences

My first Waves in Time speaker interviewee has returned their questionnaire. Watch out for Niles Elvery from Queensland State Archives telling us about why he became interested in history and why he is excited to be speaking at the conference in May. Blog post within the next two weeks, I promise!

Also over the last week we have had Facebook and Twitter posts from various Aussie geneamates who attended RootsTech in Salt Lake City or who stayed home and just did the live streaming or catch up videos. Lots of announcements have been made and I'm still trying to catch up with them.
all the news.

DNA

Perhaps the most exciting announcements from RootsTech were the new DNA tools released by Ancestry and MyHeritage. So far I have managed to have a play with Ancestry's cluster tools and their new ThruLines look like they are going to sort out some of my more distant Cornish lines. Anyway I have a whole lot of 'to follow up' notes from my brief play. Haven't even looked at MyHeritage yet. Why aren't there more hours in the day?

Resources

Fred as a baby on his mother's lap
Another exciting South Australian collection from FamilySearch is the school admission registers 1873-1985. There are now over 185,000 entries. The indexing looks a bit doubtful. I searched for Max's father but could not find him (possibly not indexed yet).

But then I looked for his brother and found him, but with indexing errors. Frederick was Frederich which is an easy mistake but their father was Henry and that is indexed Stenry which doesn't even look right. Frederick's date of birth was correct 10 December 1909 and it showed that he enrolled in school on 16 May 1922 in Adelaide, but didn't give the name of the school. He would have been 13 years old.

While the record says there is a digital image it does not appear to be connected to the indexed entry yet. Another follow up task!

Talks

At the weekend I gave two talks as part of the Queensland Family History Society education seminar - both talks were about using archives and libraries for Australian family history research. Both presentations are on the Resources page of my website, scroll down to Presentations. I meant to take some photos for this blog post, but was too busy catching up with friends or answering questions. A cousin I hadn't seen in decades turned up to say hello as well. Good to see others in the family are still chasing their ancestors.

What's Coming Up?

My next talks are in April so my focus in the short term will be on doing some blog posts and tutoring my U3A family history classes. Once term starts, the weeks just seem to fly past. The writing group is doing well and we have just agreed to do another term. Everyone has a different type of project and already we can see progress as they discuss what they are doing and we run through some standard writing and style tips.

Have a great fortnight and until next time, happy searching.

1 comment:

  1. I have included your blog in INTERESTING BLOGS in FRIDAY FOSSICKING at

    https://thatmomentintime-crissouli.blogspot.com/2019/03/friday-fossicking-8th-march-2019.html
    Thank you, Chris

    ReplyDelete