Friday 21 July 2023

Blogs, talks & other genealogy news: My Genealogy Month 12 June to 15 July 2023

 Another month has flown past. My cataract surgery went very well and I can easily see distance and read without glasses. Makes a big difference when I am giving talks. 

However my brain seems to be a bit dithery as I wrote this a week ago, but never hit the publish button!

Blogs

Some nice feedback on my GSQ guest post in June. In case you missed it, here it is again. Does researching our family history change us? How do we want to be remembered?

My brother and myself ca 1960

Books

I was super lucky on a recent visit to the second hand bookshop on Bribie. I managed to pick up both volumes in excellent condition of Lost Brisbane published by the Royal Historical Society of Queensland for only $8 each. If only they didn't weigh so much I could read them in bed. Fantastic for anyone interested in the history of Brisbane. 

Genealogy Cruising

Exciting news hot off my email but too good to leave until next time. There will be another Unlock The Past genealogy cruise in December 2024. It leaves from Sydney to Hobart to Kangaroo Island to Adelaide to Melbourne and returns to Sydney. Chris Paton is the lead presenter for the cruise. Read more about it here.

National Family History Month


Not long now until August and NFHM when there will be a range of genealogy activities across Australia and New Zealand. The opening and closing presentations have been announced. 

My involvement kicks off early on 5 August with a convicts seminar at Caloundra Family History Research where I am giving a talk on Discover your family behind bars: were they convicts, criminals, victims or witnesses?

Check out the NFHM website for other events and remember that there are virtual events as well as in person events. Plus some great prizes to win.

RootsTech 2024

In person in 2023

I am pleased to say that I have been appointed to the RootsTech Media program for 2024. I doubt that I will get there in person next year, but I will be participating from home. Get the latest updates here.

Talks

My talk at the Bribie Family History Association monthly meeting went well. It was A is for Alias and was a case study of families who change their surnames. It involved my Carnegie family of Pumicestone Passage which separates Bribie Island from the mainland.

What's Coming Up?

I have another talk coming up in August at the Noosaville Library on researching at Australian archives. That is also part of NFHM events.

Apart from that I have been steadily working on my family history drafts and finalising endnotes. The temptation not to keep adding bits and pieces is really hard. Maybe I am not meant to finish them.


No comments:

Post a Comment