Friday 14 January 2022

More Downsizing, Blogging, New Resources & Other News: My Week in Genealogy 8-15 January 2022


With Omicron on our Island, we have stayed at home although we did venture out to Caboolture on the mainland for our booster. The good thing about not having fixed appointments to go to, means that once you have done the chores around the house, the rest of the day is free. So lots of photo sorting, writing and preparing talks for February. It will be the same next week but I will get back into my usual routine from 24 January 2022. 

At the end of the week I will take another photo to show my progress. Note the orginal photo below is November 2019 and there has been a lot of procrastination in this part of the wardrobe. But someone has to sort it, and it is preferable that I do the selection and preservation of photos that should be part of our family history.

Not a great photo but this is the
cupboard I'm working on. Four
shelves of photos, binders & memorabilia. 

Blogs

Week 2 of 52 Ancestors in 52 Weeks was about an exciting find. Although it was 45 years ago now, I can still remember how excited I was to discover that Mum's maternal grandmother Dorcas Trevaskis had Cornish parents. It sounded quite exotic. Read my post on my GG grandmother Elizabeth Rosewarne and her two husbands, James Henry Trevaskis and George Guy both Cornishmen here

The Genealogical Society of Queensland has asked me again to be a guest blogger and that is due early February. They never give me a topic and I usually just sit here hoping for inspiration to strike me. Stay tuned!

Bribie Genealogy

Our proposed speakers have all been contacted and most have got back to us confirming dates and titles of presentations. It looks like an exciting and varied year for our members. Because I was so slow at getting the invites out, I will have to do the February meeting. It will be on Making the Most of FamilySearch which looks at more than just searching for a person's name. 

New Resources

Well this week I can't really go past the launch of the 1921 UK census on Findmypast. It will be really useful for tracing my son's paternal grandfather's side of the family. John was born Ivor Henry Andrews Speed in 1921, spent time as John Ivor Conroy and died as John Sackville West in 1993. He was a very interesting individual.

It is the one side of my son's family tree that I have not yet traced.  Now that I have a grandson on the way, I better get my skates on and find out about that side of the family. It's a complicated story with given and surname changes and may be one that I write up for the 52 Ancestors in 52 Weeks blog challenge. For the record, my daughter in law's family is a very long line of distinguished Dutch families. I think they even have a crest.

John was a passionate advocate for the
right to die with dignity. Photo Courier Mail 23 August 1989

At the end of the year, most of the subscription companies do a summary of what's new during the year. I always like to browse these as its impossible to remember what you see or it is possible you missed the notice during the year. Perusing Ancestry's list of what's new in 2021 had me diving into different record collections. For example, the South Australian Police Inquest Registers 1885 - 1953 was one that I was intrigued by. Not everyone who dies has an inquest, but if there is an inquest there is usually a lot of additional information on the deceased. These records are digitised and the witnesses have also been indexed. Your ancestor may have been a witness to someone's death. It all adds to the family story.

The big news from FamilySearch this week was the addition of the New Zealand electoral rolls 1865 -1957. 

Talks

All my February talks are now drafted and just need some fine tuning which is a big relief. See the Events page of my website for talks I am doing throughout 2022. 

I have even done Week 1 of my English Genealogy course at Bribie U3A. Hoping it doesn't get cancelled due to Omicron on the Island.

What's Coming Up?

Next week will be a quiet week with more downsizing, writing, scanning and tidying up the study. Once speaking engagements start and U3A and Bribie Genealogy gets underway my free time will drop off accordingly. 

Stay safe and well and try to do a little genealogy each week. Salami tactics, a slice at a time. I can definitely see more room in my study cupboards, but there is a way to go yet.Until next time, happy searching.






2 comments:

  1. Good on you Shauna. You've done very well indeed. Thanks for the hot tip re Electoral rolls on Family Search. Somehow I missed that one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Alex. Keeping to a weekly schedule is harder than you think.

    ReplyDelete