Saturday 8 January 2022

More searching tips, RootsTech 2022 & Other News: My Week in Genealogy 1-7 January 2022

The first week of 2022 has gone in a blur and the Christmas decorations are all packed away until December. I won't mention that there are hot cross buns in the shops but that is so wrong in my opinion. We should have time to savour each of the seasons and the special events in the year. 

Blogs

My Diary blog made the Top 100 genealogy blogs  - a number of other well known Aussie bloggers are also included so why not try and find some new bloggers to follow in 2022.

Hightville cemetery 2011, north west Queensland
where Thomas Price was buried in 1918

Read my Week 1 blog post on Thomas Price as part of 52 Ancestors in 52 Weeks. Thomas Price was my great grandfather born in Wednesbury, Staffordshire and the father of 10 children. He was a miner and eventually settled in Charters Towers, Queensland. At the time of his death he was working for the Hampden Cloncurry copper mine.

Participating in a weekly blog challenge certainly keeps you on your toes. But I like the focus and motivation.

New Resources

1 January signals the release of more records in the public domain including Australian BDMs, archives and libraries. Time to update all your genealogy databases and follow the clues. 

Look for blogs from the archives about what is being released in the public domain. You may be surprised.

FamilySearch have a range of monthly free webinars with a variety of topics - check out January to March offerings here. Categories for the three months include General, using FamilySearch, United States and Canada. Often there are webinars for the British Isles and Asia too.

Newspapers

Do you use Findmypast for newspaper searches? Or do you use British Newspaper Archive? Which ever one you should use both if you can. I was looking for a marriage that took place in Ireland - Henry Andrews Speed a British sailor married an Irish girl Mary Jane Justice in 1852. I had no luck with Findmypast Irish newspapers. I tried the British Newspaper Archive as the groom was English and found numerous references to the wedding in various Irish newspapers in the BNA. 

People often ask me which subscription database should I join? The answer is all of them as they all have slightly different resources. However most of us can't afford that luxury.  A genealogy society membership might be useful as you can normally access subscription sites in their libraries or via home eresources. Or your local library may have Ancestry or Findmypast. See what is available locally and virtually.

The rule is - search everywhere!

Preserving Your Photographs

As a break from writing I am now sorting out all my photo shoe boxes. It is amazing what you forget you have in the back of the warddrobe. Granny died 25 years ago and that is probably the last time I look at her loose photos. I have dragged the two albums out since then but not all the loose photos I had in a shoebox. I was stunned to find so many younger photos of Dad which I can't remember seeing before. Out of sight out of mind or perhaps it is just old age catching me up.

Love Dad's hat

Dad always loved his motorbikes


Behind his father's black FJ Holden
- many a Sunday drive in it

  Not only do I have my grandmothers, but also my mothers and my own photos in shoeboxes. There is some overlap and they take up two shelves in my wardrobe. Going through and tossing those that are not family related or good enough for a final digital album takes an enormous amount of time. Each photo seems to generate its own memories.

More are kept than tossed but the next stage is to merge the three collections and dispose of duplicate photos. I need a bigger table! 

Then the process of scanning, naming and placing into the correct digital family albums will take even longer I suspect. This part is incredibly boring and I have started watching webinars while scanning. Although you have to be careful that you name and file as you go too and not mix things up.

Given the size of this project I think it will be interspersed with writing up those family history drafts. 

RootsTech Connect 

Amazingly it is not that long now to RootsTech 25-27 February 2022 which is again virtual. 

The organisers are starting to release the names of keynote speakers. No doubt the whole program will be fantastic.

It is free to register so if you want  to  be part of the world's biggest geneaevent, register now.

Searching Tips

This week I had to cross check when Lavinia Cleaves died - I had 1914 in Victoria and someone else had 1911. I knew my source was Victorian BDMs online so I tried to find it again. 

No Lavinia Cleaves or Cleves for 1911 or 1914. In the end I searched on Lavinia no surname and between 1910 and 1915. There were only 47 matches but it didn't take me long to find it under Cleanes! Have now made a note in my genealogy database in case I have to find it again. Don't you just love spelling variants.

What's Coming Up?

February is going to be a super busy month as I have a number of talks, both in person and virtual. See my website Events for details.

Plus I am doing a 9 week English genealogy term at Bribie U3A (omicron permitting). 

Bribie Genealogy starts up again in February and trying to plan speakers is tricky with speakers not wanting to travel here. So we are looking at the possibility of speakers zooming in.

Enjoy your genealogy searching this week. I will be having a dive into the 1921 England and Wales census. Hoping to progress my son's paternal line. As I write this there is a degree of uncertainty about omicron and any further restrictions. So stay safe and well everyone. 


4 comments:

  1. All the best with the scanning and organizing and weeding of photos and your speaking engagements. BTW I tried the RootsTech registration link but I think you might do better with this one. https://www.familysearch.org/rootstech/next/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Alex. I Googled and I was in a hurry as always. Good pickup.

      Delete
  2. I agree about the hot cross buns Shauna. I remember when they were special. I listen to Legacy Webinars when I’m digitising files. Puts a bit more enjoyment into a mundane task.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jennifer. Nothing like multskilling to get things done.

      Delete